Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Don’t Mind the Mess…

After putting the kids to bed, I walked into the kitchen for a drink of water. As I was standing there, I enjoyed the “cleanliness and organized” room. I even felt a little sense of pride. I had worked very hard the last few days on organizing a couple of rooms and at the moment I was really enjoying the fruits of my labor. I then walked into the family room… the feeling was gone. Oh boy, was it gone! Before my eyes, I saw the imagination of 2 four year olds and the exploration of a one year old. I stood for a moment and then smiled… ONE DAY, I will miss this. As I cleaned up the room, I thought about my children and what they may have been thinking when creating this mess. (some of it I knew because I listened to their play most of the day) I cleaned up a pink Barbie car full of passengers, that drove into the wall to get away from grandpa, I put away 5 blankets tucked into the couch and under pillows to create a secret fort, to hide from the rain and the storms. Several large handfuls of cars I picked up from a boy learning that a  loud noise comes when he dumps the bucket. Toy food and dishes scattered from children imitating mom and dad “playing house,” were put back in the play kitchen. I also found a sword stashed under the couch, it must have been for protection during the storm. Toilet paper was strung all over the bathroom floor (behind a closed door)  this was most likely the 14month old’s trick but hidden by his siblings that didn’t want to clean it up. A football, some shoes, a watch, Barbie dresses, coloring books, crayons, a guitar and books were among the “mess” I had to clean up tonight. Which brings me to the familiar saying…

“Don’t mind the mess…

My kids are making memories”

I am blessed to have the opportunity to watch my kids make memories, to have them in MY home in MY care… I may feel like I am losing my mind at times and that I can’t keep up with the damage they make in the house, but I am one lucky lady to be able to be called “mom.”

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers